Monday, January 16, 2006

Profound BS

Second semester of law school has begun. I'm doing my best to take advantage of the slightly slower pace, but I'm feeling nagged by the need to apply to (unpaid) summer internships, and then figure out how I'm going to cover my expenses. Nobody is a fan of writing cover letters, and I'm no exception. I'm usually decent, though, at coming up with some narrative that brings me to my present interest in the position I'm applying for. But for some of the jobs that I think might be interesting, I've got nothing -- just an interest in checking out something new. So I've left that paragraph in the body of many of my cover letters unfinished.

"I'll just move onto paragraph three where I talk about my qualifications," I say to myself. Wait, what qualifications? At the career counseling center they suggested I could say something about my "legal training". Legal training? What legal training. I laugh every time I write it (before vigorously hitting the delete button). Ha! one semester of law school = legal training?

So here I am, with my "strong writing and research skills", no grades to show for my first semester (and no idea what those grades might be) blowing in the wind, hoping a bolt of inspiration will hit me, or else that an inspired bolt will hit one of the potential empoyers I've sent my application to and encourage them to respond. In the meantime I'll be hitting my head against a wall.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chill out. You'll find something to do for the summer. There are even places (usually small firms or a solo practitioner, but occassionally a gov't office) that will pay you a small pittance (usually hourly). Some of the best opportunities, however, will be volunteer positions with a legal services organization. If you have an interest in that area, it's a good time to explore (and, if you have an interest in that area, get used to working for a pittance of a salary by volunteering your skills).

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home