Saturday, July 09, 2005

Yes, Yes, Yes

I had jitters in my stomach before we left for dinner. "Odd," I thought to myself, "But how cool is it that I still get butterflies even after dating for nearly five years?" We biked by lush green pastures with big fat dairy cows, the sun at our backs and the Ijssel river to our right. I told him I felt nearly nauseous with happiness. We crunched down the gravel driveway to the old estate and parked our bikes.

During our aperatif he looked nervous, but dismissed my concern. We ate salty herring, drank in the cool vodka and soaked up life. Our table was the best in the house. The open window let the breeze tickle my legs and the buttery sun melted into the room. We looked out over the pond and talked about how far we've come, and how important honesty is to family.

The waiter asked us to follow him to the wine cellar for a palate cleanser. There were two champagne glasses tied together with white ribbon. "Wow, sure looks very matrimonial. But I know this couldn't be related to us because the man I love just isn't quite ready for marriage -- not for a year or two yet."

Before I knew it, though, he guided me to a bench surrounded by candles, then he was down on one knee. Through tears of joy I said yes.

I've never been so happy to have been wrong!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, my friend!

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home