Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Reminder

On Sunday, while I was enjoying the sun and daydreaming of the fun week to come (celebrations marking S. taking the Boards, my final day at my current job, packing for a trip to Holland where all manner of spoiling has been promised, an evening out with the best girl friends ever), I noticed a little scratch in the back of my throat. I summed it up to lack of sleep and potential allergens floating around. On Sunday night I didn't sleep very well, but chalked that up to too much time in the sun doing nothing. On Monday, the tickle had turned into a sore throat. On Monday night I figured if I got to bed early, it would go away. I popped extra vitamin C and tried to drift off. Only a noose seemed to be closing with every swallow. My tongue felt thick and I didn't get a wink of sleep. I stayed home yesterday, sleeping, eating toast with honey, and drinking lots of tea. When my boyfriend returned triumphantly after having finished the big test, his first words were, "Boy you're really not feeling well. Have you moved at all today?". I mustered a high-five, a shower, and accompanied him to a post-test celebratory dinner, but I quit the evening at 9 pm in favor of sleep. I've cancelled my date with the girls, and have nixed any ideas about celebrating liberation from my 9-5'er for the moment, all for the sake of warding off this thing before my ears are subjected to pressurized cabins for eight hours.

I take this as another good reminder that even the best laid plans can and will be upset by things beyond my control. (Though before the next string of highly anticipated fun, I may invest in and use copious amounts of some anti-bacterial hand gel).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home