Wednesday, July 27, 2005

And Round and Round We Go

I've made my way by trian up the northeast corridor and have finally landed in Maine, land of happiness and sea breezes. Along the way I stopped to visit some of the most incredible people, my friends. They are truly an amazing, inspired and inspiring bunch. Among them is a poet, author and song writer, a politician and activist, two PhD candidate, an Emmy-nominated assitant producer, a lobster-woman and artist, a teacher, and a rancher. And this is only what they do professionally!

Visiting each of their homes, whether a studio in Manhattan or a 100 year old cabin in Leverett, Massachusetts, gave me further insight into the lives that they are beginning to contstruct for themselves. It's a thoughtful bunch and the choices they are making now, and the choices they've already made are deliberate. Conversation ranged from discussion about God and religion, science and spirituality, post-modernism, to bridesmaid dresses, politics, world travel, desire to have babies, America's sorry health care system, and so on. Though on average I spent only about 24 hours with each person, I arrived in Maine feeling like I had covered the globe.

None of us are making the same choices, or buy into just the same set of beliefs, but a willingness to drink it all in is a very strong common thread. I'm blessed to have these women in my life; they are the ones who make it so rich.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home