Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The New Pope

I've said before, I'm not a religious person. My Dad had a Catholic upbringing and my mom's family is Jewish and escaped Nazi Germany. As a family we attended a Unitarian Universalist church for a short while, where I learned about Native American spiritual traditions and the story of the Golden Lamb (I only remember that story because I crafted a particularly nice golden beeswax lamb as part of my report to the Sunday school class). In college I took an interest in exploring other religions and attended some Shabbat services to get in touch with my Jewish heritage, then some Buddhist meditations, and even some Catholic masses with my first year roommate who was pretty devout.

On Sundays I often mock myself as I jog past people dressed in their church best, on their way to services while I'm headed on my long Sunday run. Temple of God, temple of the body (or something like that).

So maybe it was fitting that I was on an elliptical machine when I learned that the cardinals have elected a new pope. There I was, arms flailing, legs ellipsing with images of people running to receive the news at St. Peter's Square on the little screen in front of me. Watching those images, I started tearing up. There's a lot about organized religion I just don't get, but I was moved as I watched all of those people, many of whom have been patiently, piously awaiting the news, converging together in excited anticipation. In addition, I think there's something very powerful about knowing that you're living through a moment in history (whether it be the fall of the Berlin Wall, the election of a new pope, or the beginning of a war). It's humbling in the way it contextualizes my relatively very insignificant time on earth.

So there I was, getting misty on the elliptical. But then the broadcaster began talking about Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Benedict XVI, as a staunch traditionalist, otherwise known as the "enforcer". How quickly my tears vanished as I learned of his position on key issues: anti-women in the clergy, anti-gay, anti-contraceptives, anti-choice. Ugh. And back to the elliptical for me it was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home