Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Meme

A few weeks ago I was meme'd I've been looking forward to responding, but for some reason haven't gotten around to it until now:

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
I’ve never read Fahrenheit 451, though it's on my list, so this is an uniformed answer. Let me further qualify my response by saying that I take this question to ask what book would you want to be so that you would not get burned? My answer is the Bible. I figure there are enough copies of the Bible, and enough people who have a very fierce desire to protect the words in this book, and therefore the book itself, that I might have a chance of surviving wedged under someone's floorboards or something.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
I’ve never been much for fictional or superstar crushes. I prefer the non-fiction variety. But I suppose that along with my infatuation with all things Anne of Green Gables (and her dark-haired friend Diana, who I liked to think of as my Canadian alter-ego), I had a little crush on Gilbert Blythe too.

The last book you bought is?
My most recent book purchase was Blink, by Malcom Gladwell. For an accurate and articulate synopsis, see Sherry LINK. I continue to experience sticker shock every time I purchase a book. To purchase Blink I did what was unthinkable when I was working in publishing, I bought it off a street dealer on Broadway in NYC. (Horrors! I know!)I still don't understand how they get those books for so cheap, I assume it has to do with corruption at the warehouses, and corrupt people like me who really like to save a buck.

The last book you read:
I just finished Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. It was excellent. Other recent reads include: The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst (incredible), Housekeeping by Marilynn Robinson, and Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem.

What are you currently reading?
Aside from reading my grandfather's manuscript, which provides an interesting peek into his life and a world of incredibly talented statisticians, I'm in between books. Your suggestions would be most appreciated.

What are the five books you would take to a deserted island?

Since Ms. Feaverish took the liberty of including complete collections in her list, I'm going to assume the same generous parameters. My choices are:

Encyclopedia Britannica, the complete collection

Baby Island by Carol Ryrie Brink because this was one of my favorite books growing up. It completely romanticizes being stranded on an island, and I like the irony of having it with me when I'm actually stranded.

The King James Bible. Though this is the second mention this book gets in this post, I've actually never read the whole thing. I have read bits and pieces for various humanities classes, and being stranded on an island should give me some time. I would love to get to know this book that so much of Western culture references in one way or another. Besides, I figure I might be looking for a little comfort when I'm all by my lonesome, and goodness knows plenty of people have taken comfort from this book.

Portrait of a Lady by Henry James. This is my friend E's favorite book. I started reading it the summer after my sophomore year in college, but the bookmark is still tucked in the middle. I enjoyed James's aesthetic sense, and if I got too fed up with the absurdity of all those social constructions I could use the thick tomb for my own little fire.

Ulysses by James Joyce. Because you can read it over and over and get something different out of it every time.

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons)? And Why?

I'd like to pass this along to
This Kentucky Girl, because "everybody's doing it"

May Shrink or Fade, because the author is a fellow Mainer

Meme Park, because though he's probably not one for these chain-letter-type postings, he's really well read, and besides, his blog's title refers to the concept referenced in this gimmick.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This Kentucky Girl is actually my best friend and she is very well read also. She would definitely have some interesting answers to those questions.
-RS

12:32 PM  
Blogger Ms. Runner said...

I had a suspicion that she was well read! I hope that she’ll answer the questions, and maybe give me some reading recommendations as well.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

you both are too funny! of course i'll answer the "meme" which btw- not sure what that means... i'll post my answers tomorrow i promise! however, ms. runner- if you haven't already- Memoirs of a Geisha or anything by Philippa Gregory... or the first Lance Armstrong biography- all very good reads!

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home