Friday, September 16, 2005

Study With Friends

Maybe it's the only-child thing, or maybe it's the nature of the subjects I've studied but I've never been one for study groups. However, as of this morning I am officially part of a 1L study group. There are four of us, which is a great number as far as I'm concerned. We met, we've got a plan for what we want to accomplish, for how we're going to tackle information, and I've never been so excited to review the requirements of a good pleading.

That said, I think I may be the weak link in the group. We've got someone who has two years of working at the DOJ under his belt, someone else who has been through business school, and another woman who is just damn smart. That puts me...well, I'll be the one asking the questions and bringing the cookies!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll keep them on their toes with intelligent quesions, keep them laughing with your sharp wit, and happy with your baked goods. MVP of the group, for sure.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Without questions there would be no enlightenment. Without cookies -well, where would any of us be?

Snoopy

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No need to be intimidated by study group partners. While one partner worked at DOJ, he wasn't an attorney, and he didn't go through law school. Contrary to whatever crap he/she will tell you, he/she is in the same position as you.

Good luck w/ the group. Remember, you can bail if necessary.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I was perceived as the "weak link" in a study group my 1L year. The other people were your more typical law school buffoons -- lots of background knowledge on the subject, a very intellectual approach to the issues. Some snobbish arguments about old-school theorists. And at times, I felt like they knew SO much more than I.

I asked questions, or quietly noted them to myself. I offered reactionary answers, and an intuitive approach - ever the practical one. I paid attention to what they said, also, always listening. I mediated between their approaches, finding commonalities and distinctions.

I got an A in that class. (no joke!)

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home