Monday, March 07, 2005

The Big Apple

What I remember most of my first visit to New York is being dizzy. I couldn't stop my eyes from moving, up the sides of those enormous buildings, around the street, over the people, down at the dog shit, and through the shop windows. Years later, I visited my cousin and ausin (a special name we made for my aunt who is closer in age to a cousin) in the city and had a blast - drinking wine (I was only 16!), seeing Blue Man group, and going all over by subway -- I was dizzy all over again.

Not really interested in living in a state of perpetual virtigo, I wasn't very keen on the idea of ever making New York my home. However, my interest in trade publishing lead me back after graduating from college. And (two summers included), I lived there for about three years.

Flying in this past Friday evening with the city pulsing and glittering below the plane, I felt visceral love for the city. The unsupressable smile emanating from my lips surprised me. I hadn't realized just what a fondness I harbor for New York City.

alive, Alive, ALIVE!! It screams. All those people mashed in together, pushing their dreams in front of them like brooms, and always moving, moving, moving. I love it. The exhilaration I get from the city's liveliness is the same rush I feel when alone I stumble across the most pristine, quietly thriving places outdoors. I suppose that in the city it's awe of the human spirit, drive, and ability to create that catches my breath, while on the beach or in the woods my pulse races in awareness of nature's incredible intricacies. Both are just brimming with possibility and potential, decaying and being rejuevenated at the very same moment.

It was an excellent weekend, spent in an excellent city, and it makes me wonder if I'll end up living there again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop blogging right now!

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home