Saturday, February 19, 2005

Toes

Last night, I attended a performance by the Martha Graham Dance Company. Since I'm not very well versed in modern dance, I relied on the program to inform me. I learned that Martha Graham's dance and choreography were all about "exposing the depths of human emotion through movements that were sharp, angular, jagged, and direct."

Watching the dancers use every single sinewy muscle and ligament in their body, I was mesmerized. I became transfixed on their feet, noticing the way their toes gripped the floor, or one another's bodies.

The last performance featured a dancer costumed in virginal white. Much of her time on stage was spent teetering on one leg -- and I do mean teetering, because she didn't have the rock-solid balance of the other dancers. Maybe she was having an off night, but watching her reminded me of just how hard all of these dancers were working, and how incredibly easy they all made it look.

Her trembling was ironically fitting for the piece, which (according to the program) was meant to express the "quick joy and quick sadness of being in love for the first time." As she wobbled, my vision became myopic and the stage narrowed to just a small circle of light trained on her toes. She needed every single millimeter of each of those ten digits to stay balanced, and even then she swayed.

Right now, I feel like I might be missing a few toes.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

Ms. Runner. Curious to know how you inserted your links field in your blog. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure it out myself. Thanks.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Ms. Runner said...

Happy to help you out. When you're creating a new post using "Blog Spot" you'll notice that there are some icons in a small toolbar menu at top of your typing space. One of these icons looks a little bit like a chain link. When there is a word that you'd like to make an active link, highlight that word, then click on the chain icon, and type in the URL you want readers to be directed to when they click on your chosen word.
It's very simple, but man, I think I just made that much more complicated! Good luck.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

ahhh that's great- but I was actually curious about the sidebar links section (where you have other blog sites listed within a "links box" above archives, etc.) The more I can't figure something out- the more I want to... Story of my life.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Ms. Runner said...

Aha, my mis-reading. First, go to "change settings", next, go to "template". From there, you'll want to scroll down in the html text until you find the section that says something like "begin sidebar". Under the "begin sidebar section" I added a little bit of html code in order to create my "links field". Unfortunately, I can't paste the code into this post (I just tried and it kicked the post back), but if you email me at chickadee3@gmail.com I can send it to you that way. Alternatively, you might try fishing around the Blogger help site, which I've found pretty helpful. Again, good luck!

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home