Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Restless

It’s a good thing that we don’t have spy cameras at work (at least I don’t think so). Actually, that reminds me, my previous workplace _did_ have spy cams, which I didn’t notice until my second year there, and once I did notice them, I felt the need to move more quickly between the hallway and the kitchen, and dart in and out of the bathroom (since these were the areas patrolled by the cameras). Anyway, if a camera had been watching me today, it would have recorded my restlessness. Up to the bathroom, back to the kitchen, around the building, fishing for pieces of gum, and generally tapping my fingers and rolling my eyeballs between each millisecond of actual productive work. I think it might just be one of those weeks.

Work isn’t terribly stimulating, so when I don’t have any pressing deadlines, I search for other ways to occupy my brain. But since there are so many limiting factors – most of all that I’m at work – I can’t do something useful, like learn a new language, and instead I end up with bubbles of energy that go to waste. On days like this, it’s a must to exercise at the beginning of the day and after work – or risk exploding with restless energy.

Next Monday I really will be starting a new language – Dutch of all things! – in lessons twice a week after work but in the meantime, it’s going to be more gum chewing and laps around the building.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home